Gary Waddell • Victory Ministries Middle Tennessee • 12/28/2020
“Jesus wept.” (John 11:35)
One of the shortest verses in the Bible. A verse we teach a four year old for their first Bible memory verse. But there is so much more to it. Jesus Christ is full of compassion. When Martha and Mary sent word to Jesus that Lazarus was sick, He tarried for a couple of days. I am sure His disciples were wondering why He didn’t rush up to Bethany immediately. When Jesus first heard word of Lazarus’ sickness He said “This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby” (John 11:4). As we read the story we know that Jesus went up and “raised Lazarus from the dead”, an incredible miracle. When Mary came down to see Jesus she obviously was very sorrowful and she cried. Jesus, knew the situation, and had already planned to raise Lazarus from the dead, for God’s glory. But He was (and still is) filled with compassion for those who wept and for the one that died. Jesus has more love and compassion than all of us combined. Even though He is the most Powerful Figure in the universe, “Jesus wept”.
Nothing has changed. I believe that Jesus is “weeping today” from what He sees going on here on earth, especially with followers of Christ. I hope I don’t take this out of context, but this is what I believe. Jesus is weeping:
• For those who say they love Him but stay away from Him in prayer and worship (And for those who spend little (or no) time with Him, or thinking that 5 minutes is okay).
• For those who reject Him and refuse to receive Him.
• For those who shed innocent blood from the womb (Pro 6:16-19) and call it abortion and 'Pro Choice' (but it was not the innocent child's choice who was slaughtered in the womb).
[As of June 2021 62,929,000 unborn children have been murdered for "convenience"]
• For those 'religious' leaders who mislead multitudes telling people they must "work" or "follow them" or "give money" for their salvation instead of believing by faith (Eph 2:8-9) in Jesus Christ, Author and Savior of our souls (Heb 5:9, Heb 12:2). (There are many)
• For those who make fun of Him and mock Him by using God's holy name in curse words even in vulgar expressions (and that especially includes you, Hollywood).
• For those who refuse to believe His holy and inerrant word - the Holy Bible.
• For those who are led away from the truth by government leaders, universities, school systems, Hollywood and more.
• For those who have become entangled in sin whether it be drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling, pornography, and many other sins.
• For those who rob, injure, murder and burn down what others have in hatred and envy and those in government whose desire is to oppress a nation's citizens, especially believers.
• For those who hear His word, believe on His word, but will not tell others of His glorious Gospel because of fear of others what they might say.
• For those who worship idols, TV, sports, hobbies (including lotteries), clubs, jobs, money, & place them above Him.
• For those who say (about receiving and following Jesus), "not yet, not today – maybe tomorrow" (We don't know if there will be a tomorrow).
• For those who Hate and are bitter at others because of wrong-doings or even jealousy.
Can you think of more? I know you can. Yes Jesus wept.
And, I believe He weeps today.
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
"Forgive me Jesus". Help me to be pleasing to You so I may hear the words,
“well done good and faithful servant”.
Thanks for “Taking 5" • Gary Waddell • Victory Ministries Middle Tennessee
www.iamnotashamed.com • God bless and bless GOD